Wow, this week went by like lightning. Often I am pretty much played out by Thursday, but this week I’m still energized by what I learned. I can’t wait to get home and start putting some of my new ideas on the lathe.
Yesterday I finished construction of the teapot and started the sanding process. That took quite a while, but the design seemed to be working well.
Today I finished my teapot and was pretty happy with the results. There are a couple of little things I need to touch up at home and it only has two coats of lacquer, but it looked good in the students display this afternoon.
This morning we also had a bit of a diversion. On Wednesday our whole group went to see the marbling demonstration. My wife was in this class, so I was particularly interested. Pat Thomas, the instructor did a great, short demo on marbeling. She produced a great piece of Spanish Moire by moving in time with all of us singing Three Dog Night’s version of Joy to the World.
That gave us the idea of marbeling some of our pieces, so today three of us headed over to the marbeling studio and got our pieces dipped. We had to apply an alum solution to them last night, so that the paint would stick. Pat was ready for us and mixed up colors for each of the three pieces. This is what my piece looked like right after it was dipped.
After drying it turned a bit pale, but the colors will really pop when I get home and apply a coat or two of lacquer.
This afternoon, after an in-depth discussion about sanding, we cleaned up the studio and headed over to the student display. I was quite proud of the work the woodturners had produced.
Then it was over. Some people left and some people finished packing everything out of the studios. We ate our last dinner together and then headed of to a wonderful autoharp and dulcimer concert by Karen Meuller.
I’m sad that the week went by so quickly, but am excited about trying some new techiques when I get home.